Wednesday, January 25, 2012

From Selfish to Selfless

For a long time I've felt "ENTITLED".
I thought since I work REALLY hard each day I should be able to do whatever I want, kind of as a Reward for myself. I should be able to go anywhere I want for as long as I want, eat what I want and as MUCH as I want, do things I want to do and not stay home and do the things that need to be done. I have no one to answer to so why not. I DESERVE it!
But....what has eating whatever gotten me? Fat! UGH! Working out is a HUGE Sacrifice for me. I hate it but know it needs to be done.

This past year, I started working with some disabled people at the Exceptional Foundation (through the Junior League).
 
I have had to sacrifice some to do this. I've had to go to meetings, take time to plan things and sacrifice going out with friends on occasion because I was scheduled to be there.
There are many nights I really don't feel like going. I'm tired from work and it's really the last place I want to be. BUT...once I get there, it's a totally different story!! I LOVE the people there. They are so Wonderful! I always feel extremely blessed when leaving there. My heart and soul feel REFRESHED!

Also last year, I started helping with 5th and 6th grade Sunday School at church. Some mornings it is a real sacrifice to have to get up and go on a Sunday morning but it's worth it once I get there.

Recently I was ask if I'd like to help out with some of my same kids on Wednesday nights. I really wasn't sure. I had kind of wanted to maybe start meeting with another group at church that night but knew I really wouldn't have to sacrifice much and could skip days I didn't really feel like it.
I prayed about it and really felt like helping those kids on Wednesday nights was right for me.
I said "Yes, I'll help out." A few days later I received the lesson plan and the "virtue" that I'd be teaching....
"Self Control - Choosing to do what you SHOULD do, not what you WANT to do"
WOW! This spoke VOLUMES to me that I had made the right decision!
This is something I struggle with!
God really does work in mysterious ways!

I think God does want us to be happy, he wants us to enjoy life. But I realize if I make small sacrifices, He will bless me even more than I could EVER IMAGINE!

So tonight's the night, the start of my Wednesday night Journey.
Wish me Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment